Re: Nautilus GSoC Idea - Icon sizes based on usage

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Anirudh <anirudh anirudhsanjeev org> wrote:
Hi Natan,

Your project sounds quite interesting and useful. I'm pretty sure that your logs would be a much more unified way to present the user with relevant files inside the file browser itself. How mature is your nautilus access log implementation, and how can I get hold of the logs.
It's currently not accessible from Nautilus. We're planning a DBUS API and/or library, but there isn't any code for that. (Thats one of the other ideas we've considered entering in GSoC.)

I'm pretty interested in implementing this idea, and some similar implementations of mine (including a website in my university, where more frequently used links come up on top and look bigger) have had good feedback.
Good point. We'd like to show tags in different sizes (depending on their relevance and popularity) but we didn't really discuss doing the same for files. I tend to think that the file listing should be neat and ordered, but perhaps there's room to do something similar.

My experience with GTK is merely creating gladexml files, and want to first hear from a nautilus-dev wether such an implementation is possible without requiring too much hacking around the codebase.
Which programming languages are you familiar with?

Thanks,
Anirudh