Re: Split/dual pane view again (but this time with code)

On Di, 03.03.2009 11:11, Alexander Larsson wrote:

>> Well, Tab is the standard key for walking through the focus chain. The
>> question is just what the focus chain should contain. The draft that I
>> coded up so far sets a focus chain containing only the left and right
>> panes in split view mode. That's what people who used a split-view
>> filebrowser before most likely expect.
>
>It is however not what users of Gtk+ applications expect. They expect
>all focusable widgets to be in the focus chain.

Personally, I consider the following functionality to be essential in
order for split view to be useful in the first place:
 - make other pane active
 - copy selection to other pane
 - move selection to other pane
 - visit same location in other pane

These should either have a keyboard shortcut, or it should be possible
to assign one.

As discussed in other leafs of this thread, there should be no problem
with the latter three.

If overruling Tab during split view by default is not an option, I can
see the following solutions:

1. create a gconf key, defaulting to false, to set the focus chain only
   containing the two panes in split view mode
2. leave the focus chain as it is, but create a menu item "switch to
   other pane"

Other ideas? Preferences?

Holger