Re: Split/dual pane view again (but this time with code)

Looks amazing, first of all. I think this would be a great feature to
have in Nautilus going forward. It increases usability with minimal
fuss, and it sounds like you've unintentionally laid the groundwork
for another requested feature: Miller columns view
(http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/4496/). I haven't looked at the
code yet to confirm, but I will when I get a chance.

I think that it might be better to keep a communal location bar for
the panes rather than the current method of one per pane. It would
improve usability for lower-resolution users and can as a visual cue
when changing between panes (assuming that they aren't pointed at the
same directory).

Speaking of which, I agree that the best visual cue of the active pane
would be some sort of themed outline. Typing this from Gmail,
something similar to its own active text field border would be ideal.
Unfortunately I'm not (yet) the Gtk+ expert you need to tell you how
possible that actually is, nor to implement it.

Another idea - which I prefer but believe difficult at best - would be
something like a reverse tab (bear with me, I don't have the GIMP here
to illustrate). The aforementioned communal location bar is in the
visual equivalent to a tab which extends down to surround the active
pane, switching as necessary.

As for the keybindings, I support the inclusion of any shortcuts that
aren't already taken. Also, the use of TAB seems solid, since that
should be the expected behaviour.

Brian