Re: Specifying thumbnailers as a service

Le lundi 01 septembre 2008 à 10:49 +0200, Philip Van Hoof a écrit :
> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 10:25 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Friday 29 of August 2008, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>
> >  Is this API also intended to be used by filemanagers? It appears to have
> > several performance problems for use in those:
> >
> > - there is no notification about progress (i.e. when a thumbnail is done), so
> > a filemanager showing a directory would have to wait for all thumbnails
> > created there (unless it wants to watch the thumbnail directories for a
> > change). Also, even if there was such a signal, it would probably be nice to
> > also have a request for cancelling the create request, in order to change
> > what should be generated when the user scrolls around in a view with many
> > files
>
> I have not seen many other thumbnailers have progress or status
> information. You could do per-item progress information by calling it
> file per file.
>
> I could add a signal like:
>
> <signal name="Progress">
>      <arg type="s" name="level" /> <!-- Either "item" or "group" //-->
>      <arg type="i" name="percentage" />
> </signal>
>
> I'm not sure if this ain't making the specification too complex for
> implementers for a thumbnailer.
>
> I think canceling is overkill. Making a thumbnail doesn't take longer
> than a minute (and a minute is an extreme case). Users don't cancel
> that.

actually this is imho not overkill at all, one minute is your limit but
on what kind of hardware with what kind of file ?

I've been reading through how nautilus does browsing and queues
thumbnailing and this is done in a highly asynchronous way. If a user
closes window then all actions pending for this window are _immediately_
stopped. This is what I expect from a reasonable process, don't waste
time doing something I don't care anymore, just work on the stuff I'm
doing now.

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <gilles dartiguelongue esiee org>