Re: Specifying thumbnailers as a service

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 01:12 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 29 August 2008, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

[cut]

> > This sounds overly complicated to me.  Now you're assuming that any app
> > that wants to load thumbnails is also capable of figuring out the
> > mime-type of the file it wants to load.

> > [cut]

> I agree, it's the job of that "service" to figure out the mimetype (and
> therefore the actual backend) to use.

> [cut]

> Hmm, maybe that's as simple as saying that:

> org.freedesktop.thumbnailer.generic is used by default, and that one can
> find out and call a org.freedesktop.thumbnailer.<specific mime type> service
> if it doesn't know how to handle that mimetype itself.

I'll try to write the draft of the specification this way. At Maemo we
will implement a daemon for our own use-case and if this kind of DBus
stuff turns out to be impractical then we'll immediately notice this
during the implementing of our case.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog