Re: Filename sorting order

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Alexander Larsson wrote:

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 16:39 -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:
In 2007 Oct there was a thread 'Nautiles doesn't sort files
alfabetically' in which it was stated that 'There is no way to disable
the special handling of numbers when sorting on names'. Is this still
true? Also, is it possible to make the sorting case sensitive?
If I want these things in a GUI, should I just use Konqueror?

String sorting is a locale specific setting. If you want to change the
sorting behaviour, change LC_COLLATE as with all other standard posix
apps (see man locale). The "C" locale gives you case sensitive sorting.

OK. It might sometimes be useful to have the option within the application, but I can see reasons for not doing that.

There is however no way to disable the special number handling.

If you want to use Konqueror, that is fine with me.

I'm sure :-)
But I was really wondering if there's a GNOME GUI alternative.
And it would be nice to have a choice of number handling within a single application.

Is there a Nautilus wish list where this does or could appear? Or is there a definite philosophical objection to having the option?

One reason I'd like a number-handling option is that I have files with embedded dates which sometimes include the day and sometimes don't (e.g., xx_20070901.txt and xx_200801.txt). It might also be less confusing when both Nautilus and 'ls' are used.

- Robert