Re: PATCH - Add DnD files onto archiver files with help of file-roller

Am Donnerstag, den 29.05.2008, 22:20 +0200 schrieb Nelson Benítez León:
> Gracias a ti :) , thanks for finally getting this patch in nautilus!!,

¡no ha sido nada!

>  also you mention in a TODO some mimetypes file-roller doesn't support
> adding files into, do you know a file-roller bug about that? if not
> I'll file it.

I did not file any, because it affects bzip- or gzip-encapsulated
tarballs, and I am not sure whether this feature is useful at all for
them.

In contrast to zip files or simple tarballs, you'd have to read the
entire encapsulated tarball from the gzip file, store at a temporary
location, append the file and re-encapsulate it. This may not be a good
idea on remote system.

I think the most commonly used archives are zip and rar files, because
they can easily be used on a Windows or MacOS system. .tar.bz2/.tar.gz
files seem to be mainly used for software distribution.

If you still wonder why the TODO comment was written that way: The UI
seems to support the addition of files for compressed tarballs, but the
command line not - at least not with my testcase.

But the actual question is whether we want to a time-consuming update of
tarballs without any UI feedback, and does not depend on whether
file-roller supports this.

best regards,
 Christian Neumair

--