Re: Feature and string break request

ma., 17.03.2008 kl. 10.47 +0100, skrev Vincent Untz:
> Le lundi 17 mars 2008, à 09:57 +0100, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> >
> > On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 11:56 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> >
> > > For translators: the new string is "Archive Mounter".
> > >
> > > Alex, your patch doesn't modify POTFILES.in :-)
> > >
> > > I'm a bit mixed on the feature freeze break. It sounds harmless and
> > > more of a good thing. But then it deprecates file-roller in some part
> > > since it's not needed to read archives anymore... I need to think a bit
> > > more about this, I guess.
> >
> > Deprecates is a bit harsh. File roller is still what you want to use for
> > things like creating an archive or adding a file to an archive. Or even
> > extracting a whole archive to some place (via the extract archive menu
> > item in nautilis). Mounting an archive is more when you want to browse
> > into archives, similar to how you would use loopback mounting of ISO
> > images. In fact i think the ISO image support is the most important part
> > of the archive backend.
>
> Looks like I didn't emphasizes enough the "in some part" part of my
> sentence :-) It doesn't completely deprecate file-roller, sure, but it
> deprecates it for quite some use cases. It could totally replace
> file-roller in my personal case, eg.
>
> What do other release team members think?

I think this is just a normal effect of finally getting archiving
support in a library. Different apps that can make use of that will do
so and thus create an overlap with existing apps that specialize in
handling archives and nothing else.

I think this is totally acceptable and something we want to see happen.

Cheers
Kjartan