Re: [Usability] File operations dialog redesign

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

> Now, with a multiple-file move or copy, this isn't the case.
> Files are copied one-by-one.  So even if no particular file
> is left in both places, you're left in a sort of weird state
> of files in both places.  So that needs to be Stop.

Why not have a system in place which can reverse the operations in
this case? So, on a move, if you Cancel, all the files that have
already been moved from source to destination get moved back from
destination to source. For copied files, they get deleted from the
destination. Any unfinished transactions are cleaned up (no
half-written files, etc) and ones that haven't started yet are
abandoned (I imagine both of these already happen).

Personally I wouldn't find both a Stop and Cancel button confusing, I
would understand the use cases. However one button (I don't know which
one it would be) which prompts the user "Would you like to undo the
file operations that have already completed?" [Yes|No], perhaps with
an expandable dialog to show them, would be nice to allow for both
behaviors, cleanly, with one button.

Thoughts?

- Mike Rooney