Re: JPEG thumbnailing latency

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 06:50:58 -0500, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc avtechpulse com> wrote:

Mike Rooney wrote:
No, bug 536673 says the files are not thumbnailed at all under some conditions. It is not a question of speed.

Thumbnailing is a slow process (especially for raw files) since it is compute and io intensive (i.e., lots of matrix algebra + large files).

That is not neccessarily true. I know that the Nikon RAW file format also stores jpeg encoded preview images ('thumbnails') within the RAW file, enabling a real quick preview.
And I bet all modern digital cameras do when shooting in RAW mode.
But I don't know whether ufraw is used by nautilus with this option

 --embedded-image
Extract the preview image embedded in the raw file instead of
               converting the raw image.

This will clearly speed things up seriously.

--
Christian Kirbach
Christian Kirbach googlemail com