Re: preferences->preview->thumbnail size

Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:
> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 08:14 -0500, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

> > Alternately, it could be a logarithmic scale, which would be
> > fine-grained in the kilobyte range and courser in the gigabyte range
> > (because 1 kB +/- 100 bytes is significant; 1 GB +/- 100 bytes, on the
> > other hand...).
> I don't disagree, but that would mean changing the way a deployed
> preference setting works, so it would mean either breaking old settings
> or doing some contortions to handle both. I don't think its worth the
> pain for either really.

What about just using floats instead of uints? It'd still act like a
linear scale, even though IEEE floats are actually stored (in the
hardware) logarithmically; but you'd be able to store these
huge, low-precision integers and also the high-precision small

I know it's a little strange to be suggesting floats for their
*internal scale* characteristics rather than their ability to
represent fractions (with no fractions in sight, even!), but....

Is it too much pain to move from using uints to using floats?

Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).