Re: [rfc][patch] Add optional PackageKit hook to install new applications

Hi Richard,

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 13:09 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:

> Now, I'm not very familiar with the nautilus code base, so apologies if
> my attached patch is wrong in any way. In an ideal world I would have
> used DBUS to call into the session (to make this XFCE, KDE and GNOME
> neutral) but using a command line helper isn't so bad. Using the DBus
> interface would however give us a trivial way to specify the XID and
> timespec to make modality and focus-stealing-prevention work correctly,
> although you could specify these as environment variables to the helper
> tool. I'm not sure how much you guys love DBUS, as I couldn't see a dep
> on it in the configure.in file.

This is great stuff, thanks for working on it :)
I don't think depending on DBus is bad for Nautilus. It's been some time
since there are multiple requests for a FileManager interface on the
bus, so it should be something we want to do anyway at some point.

Cheers,

Cosimo