Re: RFE - Change nautilus default thumbnail size from 96 to 48

Am Donnerstag, den 14.08.2008, 22:24 +0200 schrieb Mark:
> Now i was hoping we could change this to make the icons and the
> thumbnails the same size. A desktop looks a lot more attractive when
> the icons and thumbnails are the same size than when everything is
> 48x48 and just a few images have a thumbnail of 96x96 making it look
> strange.

I somewhat agree.

The entire icon layout looks extremely more regular and appealing when
no thumbnails are used, or if they match the icon size.

With manual layouts, numeruous bugs are introduced. For instance, if you
have a layout where (due to a recent deletion) a gap for one
non-thumbnailed icon exists, the icon is placed nicely as it is created.
But as the thumbnail is generated, it suddently overlaps existing icons.

I see two possible solutions:

A) Make the icon size match the thumbnail size, as you propose. Issue:
small thumbnails are useless.

B) Switch layout code to semi-manual layout. Completely manual layout
sucks! That's what I've been thinking about some time now:

There could be a preference dialog where you can decide in what screen
corner different categories of desktop icons should be put, and whether
they should be put in rows or columns.

For instance, you can have have folders and files in the left-top
corner, with a column-wise layout (or a row-wise layout), and volumes in
the top-right corner, and the trash in the bottom-right corner.

In addition, you could snap specific items to given screen positions, to
arrange shortcuts or other items.

best regards,
 Christian Neumair

--