Re: how do you debug nautilus file manager

Ah, also see http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus#head-42081dac9537fb3f6160f7f890820bd6c67eca82 for some info on debugging Nautilus...

Happy _nautilus_ hacking... :)

2008/4/22, Stuart Citrin <sctrn3e8 yahoo com>:
Sorry to bother  whoever reads this email with my novice mess, but I
have been banging on this for a week and it's starting to drive me
crazy.  I am trying to eventually add some features to nautilus file
manager....perhaps I can come up with some useful ideas...I know I am
starting out too big..but that's how I usually do things.  Before I
attempt to start, I want to be able to make sure I can debug the thing.
I did( with some makefile fixups) get the project to build with
debugging symbols and without optimizations. However, if I attempt to
launch it in a debugger, such as Anjuta or Nemiver or even gdb, it just
spawns off the actual file manager executable  and returns leaving the
actual  file manager essentially orphaned somewhere out there in vapor.
(This is using /src/.libs/nautilus or /src/.libs/lt-nautilus or the
nautilus script in /src.)  If I attempt to attach (with the debugger) to
the running file manager ("nautilus") process once it is spawned off, I
can do this, but it never loads the symbols and maps for
libnautilus-file-manager or libnautilus-private... that is I can't set
breakpoints. (Yes!, they were built debug)   Any ideas on how I can get
these two latter libraries to get loaded into a debugger?