CD burning problem

My problem: On my linux machines, I have NEVER been able to burn a CD with a burner on the IDE bus. Furthermore, this has been with 4 *completely* different motherboards, and at least 3 burners. I should note that they're all about 2 - 5 years old. I should also note that my external USB read/burn everything optical drive /did/ burn CDs with SUSE and FC 5, but NOT with FC 6 (same problem); it does still work on my wintel box.

All of these machines will read CDs fine. N.b. - I use gnome exclusively
(no KDE or other stuff) in runlevel 5. When I insert a blank CD, the
icon appears (labeled  'blank CD'), and the CD/DVD Creator pops up. I
drag-drop the files and directories, click 'Write', and the details
window appears. I select the drive, change the title, and click OK.

Then I get a window stating "Please insert a disc with atleast xxx MiB
free."

I know that it's blank (straight from the spindle). This happens consistently (I've tried many discs from this batch). Btw - I'm still on my first batch (50 discs) - haven't tried others. I don't think it's a crappy brand (Imation). If so many discs were bad, I'm sure that they would have given the same error in the usb drive (which I did NOT have with SUSE and FC5, and don't have with the wintel box).

Someone at my linux club helped figure this out a bit more. Running nautilus-cd-burner in a terminal presents this error: "No property volume.disc.capacity". We tried a web search - found nothing that would help.

I'm getting to think that I'm the only person in the world with this problem! HELP!