Re: Using tooltips to display thumbnails

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 18:37 +0100, hirumono email it wrote:
> Hi to everybody, I am a relatively new user of Ubuntu as I recently switched
> from Windows. I feel really at home with Nautilus, but I'd like to suggest
> two features that my previous Windows file manager, Directory Opus,
> supported, hoping that the developing team will judge them useful and maybe
> decide to implement them into Nautilus.
> 1) Hovering on a picture for a while could display a tooltip containing its
> thumbnail (the same one we see in the "Properties" dialog), to ease
> searching and cataloging;
> 2) When copying/moving a picture, in case of duplicate names the respective
> thumbnails could be showed together (maybe with file sizes), so that a true
> clone could be spotted at a glance.
>
> These features should be fast and easy to implement, and I think they could
> be very useful to users.

Having a way to show more information about a file (like a thumbnail, or
a way to preview an mp3) is something that would be nice. However, the
popup-on-hover idea isn't imho very nice. It keeps accidentally
triggering when you just rest the mouse somewhere, covering other icons.

There has been some discussions on alternate ways to handle this, but
nothing concrete has happened.

Suggestion 2 looks interesting though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a short-sighted bohemian vagrant on his last day in the job. She's a
blind mute doctor with the power to see death. They fight crime!