Re: Nautilus, GnomeVFS, EEL: Ditch ChangeLogs/generate them at dist time?

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 16:37 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Wouter [1] and Joe [2] proposed to get rid of ChangeLog and just
> generate it on the fly at dist-time.
>
> We could move the current ChangeLog to
>
>   OChangeLog-20070101
>
> and generate new logs with a command similar to
>
>   svn -r "{2007-01-01}:HEAD" log
>
> This would still allow us to split the ChangeLogs on demand, i.e. to
> move the generated ChangeLog to an OChangeLog-foo location, and continue
> with a new svn -r command.
>
> What do you think maintainers, are you fine with this?
> I'm mainly asking because I'd like to make my first commit.
>
> [1] http://uwstopia.nl/blog/2006/12/gnome-changelog-policy
> [2] http://joeshaw.org/2006/12/30/444

I'm not entierly against this idea. I guess the main problem i have with
it is that prepare-ChangeLog.pl is so damn nice, both to use and to
read. Without it i'm afraid we'll just commit with a one line message
saying "implemented feature foo". Whereas with prepare-ChangeLog.pl its
not that much work to describe each change on a per-file basis (or bunch
of files).

Maybe i'm just to stuck with what i'm used to though. How do people
using this model create their commit messages? Whats the general commit
flow?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lounge-singing guitar-strumming vampire hunter who must take medication
to keep him sane. She's a cosmopolitan impetuous Hell's Angel from a secret
island of warrior women. They fight crime!