Re: feature of creating file containing highlighted text

Am Mittwoch, den 04.10.2006, 10:07 +0200 schrieb Tshepang Lekhonkhobe:
> The user highlights some text and drags it into nautilus, then a file
> containing that text is automatically created, prompting for a file
> name. Such magnificence!
> Which package is this feature implemented, and Is it available
> elsewhere outside GNOME?

It currently works for simple text only, i.e. you select plain text
contents of an evo message, select it and drag it to the desktop and a
file should be created, beginning with GNOME 2.12. Nautilus will
manually pull the text and write it to the file.

In the future, we plan to implement a protocol called XDS which will
allow similar DND saving caps for any file format, but the saving itself
would be up to the application.

It would also be nice to allow an entire window to be a drag source.
This might allow you one day to drop the icon of an Evince window into
the trash or into some folder, and move/delete the document itself,
which could be a final solution for the PDF-cluttered Desktop we have
due to the lack of file preview in Ephy.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>