Re: Logging user actions, updated

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 20:38 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> Hi,
> I've forward-ported my patch with the logging code to Nautilus 2.16.
> This version has some more logging for async notifications as well.
> [The Unix signal code runs pretty well, btw :) ]

I commited this to head (which is 2.17 now), as it seems useful. Has it
worked out for you with debugging customer problems?

Some comments:
What is "is_milestone" used for. It seems like we always ignore anything
that doesn't set that.

+static void
+sigusr1_handler (int sig)
+	g_idle_add (dump_debug_log_idle_cb, NULL);

g_idle_add is not signal safe. It really should do the pipe-write trick.

Did you do any performance measurements on this? It seems like
especially the async stuff can be costly, being called a lot. Also, the
async stuff printing all changed/added/removed file will quickly fill
out the ring buffer, throwing away important history. Maybe async
logging shouldn't be enabled by default?

He's an all-American alcoholic househusband on a search for his missing
sister. She's a psychotic blonde bodyguard from the wrong side of the tracks.
They fight crime!