nautilus fails to open webdav folders (https)

I have been trying to connect to my university webdav folders via
nautilus, but it just fails to connect. I have tried this on fully
updated Etch(nautilus 2.14.3-3) and also on Ubuntu Dapper(nautilus
2.14.3-0ubuntu1) and Edgy.

I do File --> ConnectToServer in nautilus, select "Secure WebDAV"
protocal (also tried with just plain WebDAV) and give the full folder
link in server field (by taking off the "https://"; from its beginning).
When I double click on the mount point created by nautilus in its
windows, it asks for the username and password, tried to connect and
then fails with the message that the link was not found (and tells me to
please check spelling and try again). That same links works perfectly in
Konqueror in KDE. The problem appears to be only in nautilus. I have
visited this a few times for the last couple of years with similar results.

I also tried giving the just the server URL in the server field and the
folder path in the folder field. Same results.

Anybody got nautilus working with https (davs)? If yes, I would love to
know what you do differently. Or is it just the server at my university
that has something weird about it that Konqueror takes care of but
Nautilus doesn't?

I just subscribed to this list since I got no response from Ubuntu and
Debian forums. Is there a way to make Nautilus spew out logs to see what
it is doing or what could be going wrong?

->HS