Re: inconsistent drag data: x-nautilus-desktop:, network:, etc

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 13:20 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 24.03.2006, 23:18 -0800 schrieb Jeffrey W. Baker:
> > Nautilus seems to provide very different drag data depending on which
> > representation of the same thing is being dragged.
>
> I agree. The x-nautilus-desktop:/// URIs aren't very useful, so for the
> "text/uri-list" drag target we should probably provide the target URIs
> of volume links. Once we fix this, you can request the "text/uri-list"
> target and do what I will propose below. Internally, we would still use
> the "x-special/gnome-icon-list" type with the old semantics, at least
> until we figure out whether this breaks anything.
>
> > What am I supposed to do with an x-nautilus-desktop?
> > The name implies this is internal data, private to Nautilus.
>
> Exactly. This URI is not known to GnomeVFS.
>
> > I could scan the VFS volume monitor for
> > objects with the display name "something", but I think there might be a
> > more direct way for me to get the GnomeVFSVolume I want, and I am
> > overlooking it.
>
> I think you could ask the volume monitor for all its volumes and check
> for each of them, whether the dropped URI matches.

I don't understand.  The dropped URI is not one that Gnome VFS
understands, so I can't use it to compare volumes.

> Just for curiosity: What exactly are you trying to implement

A music metadata program.  The user should be allowed to drop a volume
off the desktop onto my program.  You might have noticed that this
doesn't currently work in Rhythmbox, either.

Regards,
Jeffrey Baker