not landing in SFTP home directory

hello all. first post, good to be here. gnome, and by extension
nautilus, are excellent apps.

now to the problem:

when i access an SFTP server added via "Connect to Server..." the
default directory is the root of the server, not my home directory.
the same operation with `sftp` lands me in my home directory. this
behavior makes "connect to server" unusable for many users.

this was filed as a bug, along with another problem, here: that bug was filed
against 2.12.X on 2006-02-27 and this is still the behavior in 2.14.1.

anyone have any idea of the status of this, or if it this behavior is
going to stay this way?

thanks much,