Connect to Zeroconf announced FTP fails

Im having trouble connecting to an FTP server via Nautiluls using the
Zeroconf method. I can connect to this FTP server perfectly via
Connect to Server.

The FTP server is running on a remote box; its existence is being
announced with Avahi using the following .service file

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?>
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
 <name>File Sharing</name>
 <service>
   <type>_ftp._tcp</type>
   <port>21</port>
   <host-name>newdeal.local</host-name>
 </service>
</service-group>

In Places->Network Servers I see File Sharing. I right click on the
icon and click Connect to this Server. A new icon appears on the
desktop and in Nautilus. Double click on the created icon and a popup
"Opening File Sharing" appears. After a few seconds it disappears and
nothing further happens.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? And more generally, does anyone have
any knowledge of the future of Zeroconf support in Gnome?