extending fm_list_view

I'm attempting to write a new nautilus view (a clone of Finder's
column view) and am trying to extend the current implementation of
fm_list_view to get the job done. I need to be able to display
multiple list views, one for each column. So far I have tried creating
multiple list views and adding them to an hbox (also tried a scrolled
window). It didn't work, and gave the following errors:

(nautilus:20712): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type
GtkTreeView to a container of type GtkHBox, but the widget is already
inside a container of type FMListView, the GTK+ FAQ at
http://www.gtk.org/faq/ explains how to reparent a widget.

(nautilus:20712): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkHBox'
to `NautilusView'

I would really like to be able to reuse the existing code. How can I
have multiple FMListView objects contained in the same
widget/container/whatever and have them all display without getting
the errors I have above? Do I need to subclass FMListView (or maybe
even NautilusView) or am I missing something? Do I need to reparent
the FMListView widget? Thanks for your time.

Mark Kegel