Re: Fixing SMB browsing

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 23:02 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
> Nate Nielsen wrote:
> > You're right. I thought I had commit this code, but it looks like I
> > forgot. The idea was that when you browsed to a share, and then chose
> > 'Connect to Server' from there it would show you the 'Connect to Server'
> > dialog with 'Windows Share' all nicely selected and ready for you to
> > customize, by changing the user name for example. But currently it just
> > displays an arcane (to the user) URI.
> >
> > I'll remedy this as soon as I can, after which we'll have a decent UI
> > for using alternate credentials on SMB shares.
>
> Here's the patch I mentioned, cleaned up a bit. It also allows
> nautilus-connect-server to accept a uri on the command line, which gets
> parsed and displayed.

I didn't look in detail at the patch, but that sounds like a good idea.
And with this in place I'd be more inclined to always log in as
anonymous when possible to avoid lots of login dialogs.

However, isn't there still an issue with browsing anonymously? How
common is it to allow anonymous browsing, but then not show all shares?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a hate-fuelled day-dreaming cowboy haunted by an iconic dead American
confidante She's a violent African-American mercenary fleeing from a Satanic
cult. They fight crime!