Re: Singe click selection with checkboxes

--- Kristoffer Lundén <kristoffer lunden gmail com>
wrote:
> On 9/14/05, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Wouldn't it be more logical to use the same
> > conventions as other applications?
> > SHIFT + rubberband = add to selection
> > CTRL + rubberband  = subtract from selection
> > SHIFT + CTRL + rubberband = intersect with
> selection
> >

> At least half of the reason the discussion was
> started was that there
> should be a good default behaviour that needed no
> (keyboard)
> modifiers.

> That said, I do think that those modifiers are ok as
> such, just that
> one of them should be applied by default for no
> modifier. I am
> favouring "toggle selection", but if there's good
> reasons, I'd be
> satisfied with it as an option, and "add" as
> default.

The behaviour for rubberband without modifiers, on
other OSes and on applications within GNOME (GIMP,
Inkscape, etc) is to begin a new selection. Breaking
that convention would be a bad idea, I think.

The HIG already has something on this:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/input.html#selection

though perhaps it needs updating, as it doesn't
specify what SHIFT + CTRL should do.