Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven
- From: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>
- To: Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk>
- Cc: Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>, nautilus-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven
- Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:55:47 +0200
On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 13:47 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Requiring such a setup is pretty demanding, for the conceptually trivial
> > thing of having two personal desktop machines. We all know this won't
> > happen at most places.
> Well the only other thing I can think of is to use external lock files
> which are opened with O_CREAT and O_EXCL to serialise access in a
> multisession environment. Will that be atomic on NFS?
Locking over NFS is handled by a separate protocol and daemon (lockd).
We tried to use that in gconf, but apparently NFS locking is just
totally broken on too many systems for it to work.
Alexander Larsson Red Hat, Inc
alexl redhat com alla lysator liu se
He's a short-sighted native American firefighter searching for his wife's true
killer. She's a blind snooty mechanic who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight
] [Thread Prev