Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 13:47 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > Requiring such a setup is pretty demanding, for the conceptually trivial
> > thing of having two personal desktop machines. We all know this won't
> > happen at most places.
> >
> Well the only other thing I can think of is to use external lock files
> which are opened with O_CREAT and O_EXCL to serialise access in a
> multisession environment. Will that be atomic on NFS?

Locking over NFS is handled by a separate protocol and daemon (lockd).
We tried to use that in gconf, but apparently NFS locking is just
totally broken on too many systems for it to work.

He's a short-sighted native American firefighter searching for his wife's true
killer. She's a blind snooty mechanic who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight