Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven

Alexander Larsson wrote:

If we are going to have multiple sessions on dodgy NFS mapped home dirs then my DDS should also optionally allow use of the non-embedded mysql daemon for those cases (the admins will need to set up mysql user accounts for each user in that case).

Requiring such a setup is pretty demanding, for the conceptually trivial
thing of having two personal desktop machines. We all know this won't
happen at most places.

Well the only other thing I can think of is to use external lock files which are opened with O_CREAT and O_EXCL to serialise access in a multisession environment. Will that be atomic on NFS?

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/