Re: Associating a volume icon with its contents

Am Mittwoch, den 19.10.2005, 17:21 +0200 schrieb Alexander Larsson:
> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:51 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > People demand unmount caps from within the target volume toplevel
> > directory, for instance for their server links or for their mounts. Do
> > you think we should call nautilus_file_set_volume/drive on the target
> > file in link_info_done from
> > libnautilus-private/nautilus-directory-async.c, and reference the target
> > file, or would you prefer a
> > nautilus_directory_[gs]et_enclosing_volume/drive API?
>
> Associate each file with a volume drive seems a weird thing to do wrt
> the abstractions (has_volume means this object represents a volume), and
> unnecessary work for most cases since this info is only needed in very
> few cases.
>
> > I'd go with the latter, since this allows us to distinguish between the
> > volume representation and its contents.
> >
> > We could set_(enclosing_)volume upon changes in a to be written volume
> > monitor.
>
> gnome_vfs_volume_monitor_get_volume_for_path() allows you to get a drive
> for local paths. I guess you could just compare the current uri with the
> list of connected volumes to detect that case.

What about network shares? Maybe we need
GList *gnome_vfs_volume_monitor_get_volumes_for_uri
(GnomeVFSVolumeMonitor *volume_monitor,
                                                    const char *uri);

or
GnomeVFSVolume* gnome_vfs_volume_monitor_get_volume_for_uri
(GnomeVFSVolumeMonitor *volume_monitor,
                                                    const char *uri);

depending on whether multiple volumes for the same URI are possible.

> However, are we really sure this is a good idea? It'll add yet another
> way to do the same thing, filling up the menus with stuff, and I'm not
> sure its such a natural place for it that people will find it easier
> than the other ways. Or am I wrong?

It is at least more discoverable than the unmount keybinding for
single-button mouse users (i.e. most G3/G4 users), considering that we
don't unmount a volume when moving it to trash.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>