Re: always_use_location_bar

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 15:52 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 15:47 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > Hi all, first post to the list, so be gentle!
> >
> > I like the new button bar on nautilus, but I also am one of those users
> > who likes having the location bar always there. So I set the key
> > "always_use_location_bar" in gconf-editor -> apps/nautilus/preferences.
> > My question is this: wouldn't it be a good idea to have this option in
> > the nautilus preferences? I should say that I have seen this question
> > come up continuously on irc and support mailing lists: "how can I get my
> > address bar back in nautilus?"
> >
> > any thoughts on this?
>
> bumping... did this not convince anyone?

I'm not super convinced.

We're trying to remove the use/display of pathnames (i.e. strings with
"/" separating the directory names) from the default UI, as they are
sort of an internal implementation issue and not all that obvious.

Also, we're trying to keep the size of the preference dialog down, and a
preference like this is clearly mostly useful for "old unix hacks" that
should have no problem enabling the preference. And not having the
string-based location bar isn't a huge loss of functionallity. Its still
easy to enter a path/uri.

Summing it up, I think its not important enough to make the preference
dialog larger, and if we wanted to make it larger i think we could find
other preferences that are more prioritized.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scrappy vegetarian sorceror on the hunt for the last specimen of a
great and near-mythical creature. She's a disco-crazy Bolivian magician's
assistant with a song in her heart and a spring in her step. They fight crime!