Re: POSIX ACL Support in Nautilus

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 23:24, Ionut Cotoi wrote:
> Trying to do a prototype of this permissions page seems to be a little
> harder than I thought so I need your help on this, any suggestions
> (preferably good) appreciated :).
> If I put the permissions like in the File owner chooser on top of the
> page
>
> Username  []Read []Write []Execute
>
> There will be a problem if the username is big, also ... should I
> display the username, or the Name Surname of the user or Both ?, if
> I'll display both... than things will become pretty nasty, because if
> I display the Read/Write/Exec flags as Check Buttons, I will need to
> add a horizontal scrollbar to the treeview... which doesn't look nice,
> or make the window bigger so I can display both the Full
> Username/User-Surname/Both + The Permissions Check Buttons without the
> scrollbar. So please advice, Alex ?

Please don't put inside more than necessary. Just username and
permissions. If you really like to have full Name, Surname, then add a
tooltip. But I strongly vote against it. It should be a tab to change
permissions, not a tool to manage users/groups.

It could be, that in the future we will have to display more than just
POSIX ACLs. For example for samba share mounted from Windows we could
present more permissions. Or for a Windows network share files.

Regards,

Olaf