Re: Browsing Samba URIs smb://

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 10:31 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 18:42 +0530, Annamalai Gurusami wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am on Slackware 10.0.  I am trying to access Windows XP and 2000
> > machines using the URLs of the form smb://machine.  This is giving me
> > access denied error.  From where does nautilus take the username and
> > password for connecting to the Windows machines?
> >
> > I am able to use smbclient directly and access the service that I
> > want, but am not able to do so through nautilus.
> >
> > Any help much appreciated.
>
> At the moment gnome-vfs doesn't authenticate (but i do think it might
> pass your username?) while browsing a machine, only when you connect to
> a share. This is so that browsing won't open up a billion authentication
> dialog.

I don't quite understand this.  Can't gnome-vfs prompt for
authentication once and then do the libsmbclient equivalent of
"smbclient -L"?  Also, since kerberos is finally getting worked into all
of this, can't you at least try to use kerberos auth at that point?

--Andy

--
Andy Grimm <ag381597 ohio edu>