Re: patch : bug 42168 - Empty Trash confirmation should explain trash contents

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 08:37 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 21:13 -0700, Dennis Cranston wrote:
> > It's not a question of courage.  ;-)
> > I'll look at the new trash-applet code later this week.
>
> Make sure you handle the other complaints i had too. All i/o should be
> asynchronous, and make sure you don't block the dialog from comming up
> to long. Either by doing updates to the dialog while visible (sort of
> like the properties dialog, although this will probably look strange),
> or by stopping the size calculation at some time and saying "at least
> 200 meg", or something like that.
>
> Also, we need i18n-team approval to commit any string changes to 2.8.x.

Hmmm. Also, thinking more about this i'm not 100% sure this is the right
thing. Basically, the trash is almost always useless files. Many people
dislike the sort of "are you sure" dialogs we're discussing here, as
they interrupt the workflow. In this case, delaying the popup of this
dialog (possibly for some time if there is lots of folders in the trash)
is even worse. As long as we can do the trash in the background without
cost its great for the user. But when it gets in the way, we need to
consider our options.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a shy devious ex-con trapped in a world he never made. She's a pregnant
motormouth lawyer who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight crime!