Re: libgnomesu [was Re: Proposed modules: my consensus so far]

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 21:26 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Hongli Lai wrote:

3. libgnomesu adds a context menu to Nautilus, which makes it possible to open a folder as root, so you can edit other users' files or system files.

Since the default folder context menu in Nautilus already has more than the HIG recommended maximum number of items, and this feature is not something that is useful in the "common case", I request the extra context menu item (I think you meant to say item?) is disabled by default.

Not only does it have a lot, we've removed (sometimes useful) stuff from
it already trying to get it to a useful size. Please be very very very
cautious in adding items to the menu that are not just for some specific
type of file.

Alexander Larsson Red Hat, Inc alexl redhat com alla lysator liu se He's a scarfaced skateboarding astronaut plagued by the memory of his family's brutal murder. She's a man-hating cat-loving widow with a song in her heart and a spring in her step. They fight crime!

One solution could be to just show the libgnomesu menu option only on folders where there is a point to open as another user. For example, only if the file/folder isn't owned by the user and other such conditions. This way the extra item will only be shown when REALLY neccesary.

Theoretically it would be even better if nautilus used libgnomesu, so that only when the user does something not allowed (like copying to a read only folder) will the user be prompted for a password