Re: no preview thumbnails for various file types in 2.5.x

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 08:32 +0100, Jens Finke wrote:

> The thumbnail is bound to the location of the file. If you move it, the
> preview gets indeed lost. For 'normal' image files, this isn't a problem
> because PNG, JPEG and TIFF can be previewed by nautilus itself (*). XCF
> files are a separate issue, since these previews can only created by the
> Gimp. If you move an image the preview is lost and can only be created
> by the Gimp again (**).

ok, makes sense

> As someone already mentioned, nautilus shows only thumbnails for local
> files by default. There are also other rules applying here, eg. show
> file content directly if file is smaller than x kb or don't show any
> thumbnail if file is larger than x MB.

now, I do have preview for all enabled and size limit is at 100MB (Would
like so see a 20MB option, this would cover digicam images). And I do
get some Thumbnails i.e. like here: http://www.ja-web.de/tmp/nautilus-
ftp-view.png
There are 42 images like this in this FTP Folder; nautilus shows a
thumbnail for three of them ... wonder why not for all

> *: To be more precise: Nautilus can thumbnail every file, which can be
> loaded through gdk-pixbuf library or files which have external
> thumbnailers installed (eg. there are some for PS/PDF).

hm, interesting.
I just run 'gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders'

and I get next to others

"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0/loaders/svg_loader.so"
"svg" 0 "gtk20" "Scalable Vector Graphics"
"image/svg" "image/svg+xml" ""
"svg" ""
"<?xml" "" 50
"<svg" "" 100
"<!DOCTYPE svg" "" 100

guess this means that I should get a thumbnail for SVG files.
Now the question - why does this not work anymore (on my machine)?

any idea how I can test the SVG thumbnailer? a command line call?

thanks for the explanation

--
Jens Ansorg <liste ja-web de>