no preview thumbnails for various file types in 2.5.x

At some point in the 2.5.x series (using 2.5.90 now) Nautilus lost the
ability to show thumbnails with actual file content for various file
types, i.e. SVG files, XCF Gimp files.

See this screenshot: http://www.ja-web.de/tmp/missing-thumbnail.jpg

there are thumbnails of the mentioned type that show a preview - these
are created weeks/months ago. There are others that show just the icon -
created or edited or moved from folder to another one (files that hat a
preview loose it when I move them around)

Probably related issue (not on this screenshot):
I have a ftp-mount to my web server - works great btw :)
I have set up nautilus to show thumbnails for all files.
I open a folder on the ftp server that has several small image files
(png, jpg) Some of them get shown as thumbnail but most do not.

Wo, how is this thumbnail thing working in nautilus?
anything I could to to get thumbs again for SVGs etc. as before?

Or should I file a bug?

--
Jens Ansorg <jens ja-web de>