Re: Speed improvement when changing file permissions?

El jue, 11-03-2004 a las 03:29, Alexander Larsson escribió:
> On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 06:05, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	I recently had some strange permissions on a bunch of music files. I
> > thought I would fix them by selecting them all, and setting the correct
> > permissions via nautilus. Un-selecting partially selected check boxes,
> > selecting un-selected boxes, etc., is a *very* slow procedure (approx 30
> > seconds per click). Doing a similar operation via command line took only
> > a second.
> >
> > 	I was wondering if the operation could be sped up by buffering change
> > requests by maintaining a mask of composite changes and only applying
> > after a timeout, or upon the dialogue being closed. Do usability or
> > other pitfalls lie that way?
>
> I'm sure its possible, with a bit of care taken. Anyone want to try? (We
> should probably use a timeout, not wait until the dialog is closed, as
> that is what instant apply should do)

And prevent the dialog from being closed while an apply op is
executing... perhaps graying out the dialog and showing a text label
saying "Applying permissions ... dialog will close when it's
finished..."

what do you say?

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)