Re: Speed improvement when changing file permissions?

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 06:05, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I recently had some strange permissions on a bunch of music files. I
> thought I would fix them by selecting them all, and setting the correct
> permissions via nautilus. Un-selecting partially selected check boxes,
> selecting un-selected boxes, etc., is a *very* slow procedure (approx 30
> seconds per click). Doing a similar operation via command line took only
> a second.
>
> 	I was wondering if the operation could be sped up by buffering change
> requests by maintaining a mask of composite changes and only applying
> after a timeout, or upon the dialogue being closed. Do usability or
> other pitfalls lie that way?

I'm sure its possible, with a bit of care taken. Anyone want to try? (We
should probably use a timeout, not wait until the dialog is closed, as
that is what instant apply should do)

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scrappy pirate card sharp moving from town to town, helping folk in
trouble. She's a blind gypsy cab driver living homeless in New York's sewers.
They fight crime!