Re: SMB error: "Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of..."

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 01:21, y9toi7y02 sneakemail com wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2004, Alexander Larsson alexl-at-redhat.com |nautilus| wrote:
> > So, the best suggestion I can come up with is to try to locate someone
> > who knows smb and samba (perhaps someone in the samba team?) who is
> > interested in the desktop and try to get them to help out. It shouldn't
> > be that hard for them to grasp the code, because the smb method in
> > gnome-vfs 2.6 is just a very thin wrapper over libsmb (from samba).
> >
> > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> >  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc
>
> If someone is going to work at it, could they please make it use the
> settings from /etc/samba/smb.conf or /etc/smb.conf if there is no
> ~/.smb/smb.conf? As of now, it creates and uses an empty copy in your
> homedirectory while it is hard to come up with a reason to use a per user
> config. This way it defaults to using broadcasting for browsing, which is
> really slow while using WINS is instant. Also it doesn't work with
> multiple subnets, tends to miss hosts, is really bad on the network
> etcetera.

Yeah. There are some things that we need to set though, such as filename
encodings etc, that would break if we read the system smb.conf and used
the (non-default) settings from there. Ideally we should read the system
smb.conf and have some way in libsmbclient to override specific settings
that we need.

> A quick inspection shows that the libsmbclient library forces this
> though..
>
> Also allowing the samba kerberos stuff to be used would be great, as you
> do not have to type your password anymore. There doesn't seem to be an
> option in smb.conf for that, but you can pass -k to smbclient to use it.

Yes. That would rule. I have no idea how this works though :)

> Quick inspection of libsmbclient shows that it does not allow this too
> though :(

Another problem with libsmbclient is that it always tries to log in
anonymous after the given user/password failed login, so if anon login
works we can't actually give the user several tries to login, which
sucks.

It would rock of some of the libsmbclient developers could work with us
to make smb integration rock.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious overambitious shaman looking for 'the Big One.' She's
a strong-willed tomboy schoolgirl on her way to prison for a murder she didn't
commit. They fight crime!