Re: SMB error: "Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of..."

On 2 Jun 2004, Alexander Larsson alexl-at-redhat.com |nautilus| wrote:
> So, the best suggestion I can come up with is to try to locate someone
> who knows smb and samba (perhaps someone in the samba team?) who is
> interested in the desktop and try to get them to help out. It shouldn't
> be that hard for them to grasp the code, because the smb method in
> gnome-vfs 2.6 is just a very thin wrapper over libsmb (from samba).
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc

If someone is going to work at it, could they please make it use the
settings from /etc/samba/smb.conf or /etc/smb.conf if there is no
~/.smb/smb.conf? As of now, it creates and uses an empty copy in your
homedirectory while it is hard to come up with a reason to use a per user
config. This way it defaults to using broadcasting for browsing, which is
really slow while using WINS is instant. Also it doesn't work with
multiple subnets, tends to miss hosts, is really bad on the network
etcetera.

A quick inspection shows that the libsmbclient library forces this
though..

Also allowing the samba kerberos stuff to be used would be great, as you
do not have to type your password anymore. There doesn't seem to be an
option in smb.conf for that, but you can pass -k to smbclient to use it.

Quick inspection of libsmbclient shows that it does not allow this too
though :(

As for fixing the 'Sorry' error, it seems that there should be some more
information in ~/.xsession-errors or the terminal that you started
nautilus in:

src/file-manager/fm-error-reporting.c:
       default:
                /* We should invent decent error messages for every case
we actually experience. */
                g_warning ("Hit unhandled case %d (%s) in
fm_report_error_loading_directory",
                           error, gnome_vfs_result_to_string (error));
                message = g_strdup_printf (_("Sorry, couldn't display all
the contents of \"%s\"."), file_name);

Martijn Vernooij