Re: CD Writing Proposal

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 13:24 -0700, Alan wrote:
> > Create a Disk Image opens a new dialog requesting the Image size.
> > (Standard CD -- 650 MB, DVD -- 4.3 GB, etc.)  A disk image icon will
> > appear
> > on the desktop in a similar fashion to the blank media.
>
> Instead of asking, why not have a progress indicator along the bottom
> that has marks at common CD/DVD sizes, so the user can see clearly as
> they approach/hit the 650/700/4.3/etc mark without restricting them from
> the start.  If the disk image they create is too big for the inserted
> blank cd at writing time they would then be informed.
>
> Just a thought.

This isn't a bad idea, and is very similar to the method used by some
other CD writing applications like k3b.  http://www.k3b.org/  (See
screenshot here:
http://k3b.plainblack.com/uploads/images/2/datadvd.png )

Notice, however, that even this application asks the user if they're
burning to a DVD or a CD first.  (And then adjusts the display to
reflect the choice.)

This breaks the abstraction somewhat -- files can be dragged into the
logical blank CD even if they then don't fit.

Also, this proposal came out of a frustration I had when making CDs
using Nautilus -- I would always put too many files in only to be told
later that it was too much.