Re: Connect to Server UI design

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 18:30, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 21:56 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > In an effort to revamp the dialog:
>
> And a bit of a rethink...
> http://davyd.angrygoats.net/images/dialog-rework.png
>
> much simpler, unintentionally similar to the MacOSX dialog...
> http://davyd.angrygoats.net/images/connect-to-server.jpg
>
> Thoughts?

I'm CC:ing seth, because I know he has thought about this before.

Your last proposal isn't all that bad, but I don't like the general idea
of having to enter URIs. That was just a stop-gap measure to get the
feature in. Forcing people to understand how various uri types work is
not a good idea, thus I'd like to go towards a UI that helps you enter
the right information to internally create the URI. That is, towards the
JDS dialog.

Also, while using the uri to create a default name and having the
location entry first sound good I still want you to be able to chose a
name for the mount. A name like "FooBar project photos" or whatever is
better than a name based on technicallities like where it is stored. You
mention renaming from nautilus as a way to do this, but that means you
have to look at the uri, figure out what name we picked and search for
that to rename, plus atm (for technical reasons) volumes are read-only,
so you can't really rename them after the fact. Its possible that can be
fixed, but it would require some non-trivial amount of work.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American moralistic gangster on the wrong side of the law. She's a
plucky communist schoolgirl who don't take no shit from nobody. They fight
crime!