Re: nautilus loves to preview unfinished files

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 10:48 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 08:30, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > So, Galeon (I don't know about epiphany) marks partially downloaded
> > files as foo.bar.part, and upon completion renames them to foo.bar.
> >
> > Nautilus loves to keep repreviewing these files, and eating up all my
> > CPU time in the process. Nautilus also likes to repreview files that
> > it's copying from one server to my home.
> >
> > Surely it would be better to not have nautilus preview files until they
> > are done? Perhaps instead just use the clock on the page icon (maybe if
> > people were feeling smart, do the MacOSX bar filling as it's
> > transferred).
>
> How would you do it though?

How about when nautilus recieves a change notification for a file it
will store the filename and change time in a hash table. If it gets
another change notification in a predefined timeout it will only update
minimal changes (i.e. no thumbnail, but file size in the list view
should probably be updated). If it dosn't get any mre change
notification in under that timeout it can then fully update everything.

The length of this timeout depends on fam, but I think 2 seconds is
probably more then enough.

--
Daniel Brodie <daniel brodienet com>