Re: Nautilus, metadata and extendet attributes

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 10:36, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le ven 30/01/2004 à 09:34, Heinrich Rebehn a écrit :
>
> > If the user decides to use "wrong" extensions, it's his decision, and if
> > the image viewer displays garbage because "pic.jpg" contains ascii, he
> > can use the file command to check what's wrong.
>
> No. When files come from somewhere else, the user hasn't decided
> anything. If nautilus does put your computer on fire when trying to
> display "remote-location:///pic.jpg" because at the last moment it
> decided it's an executable, the file command is completely useless.
????
If it used extension (.jpg) to recognize file type how could it decide
that it is executable?

> Deciding on file extensions enables all sorts of mistakes and malicious
> attacks, just open your eyes and look at the weekly Windows exploits.
This is true only if:
1. You hide extension
2. You sniff file content, and decide what it is :)
Again:
Windows makes use of extensions dangerous only if the above points are
true.
If you think that I'm wrong, please explain me how.

Regards,

Olaf