Re: new mime detection approach

Alexander,

I haven't looked at this gnome-vfs code in a while, but I suspect that you have to use regex and filename hints along with sniffing to differentiate some OpenOffice/Staroffice documents from zip files.

Also I'm not sure it is possible to determine whether a .jar file is a Java library, data, or an executable without unpacking and looking in META-INF/MANIFEST.MF

Do you have any suggestions on handling these cases?

We will probably always need a mixture of sniffing and filetype/regex for legacy documents but wouldn't it be possible to write meta-data into a cache for all gnome documents written via gnome-vfs?

A directory would contain a .vfs-meta file with something like this:
   Number of files: 3
   Number of files type-checked by gnome-vfs: 3
   myfile.jpg    type:image/jpeg     launchwith:gimp
   myfile.mov   type:video/mpeg4     launchwith:totem
   myfile.xxx   type:unknown         launchwith:undefined

If the .vfs-meta file doesn't exist or the number of files in a directory doesn't match the number typechecked by gnome-vfs, you'd know you have to do some sniffing. Wouldn't this speed up thumbnailing, launching and directory browing for all gnome created files?

If only this had been done right back in 1980 :(

application/winvirus
      regex,2: \.doc\.scr
      regex,2: \.jpg\.exe...