Re: Nautilus and automounted directories

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 19:11, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am using GNOME 2.4.1 and i really do like nautilus, but i am a bit
> annoyed by its behaviour wrt to automounted directories.
> If i point nautilus to an automounted dir, say "/home/john" then it
> display its contents, but after some time, it just falls back to my home
> dir. It seems that the automounter unmounts it because nautilus does not
> keep the directory open. This is even worse when i want to browse a CD,
> which is automounted with a 5 sec timeout. It's almost unusable!
>
> I looked for a way to configure this in nautilus, but could not find
> anything. As a kludge, i open a terminal window and enter "cd
> /home/john" or "cd /rmdisks/cdrom", but this really isn't a solution.
>
> Is there a way to have nautilus either
> - keep the directory open or
> - keep displaying the contents, even if the dir is unmounted?
>
> There's a related problem when i put a link to an automounted dir on the
> desktop and try to open it. Nautilus barks that it is a dead link and
> offers to move it to trash. It is not dead! It is just not mounted, but
> would be if nautilus would try to open it!
>
> I would be very thankful for any help. I really like using GNOME.

This sounds like a very sensible thing to do. Could you file this as a
bug in bugzilla to make sure we don't forget it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a leather-clad one-eyed assassin from a doomed world. She's a man-hating
streetsmart Hell's Angel with an evil twin sister. They fight crime!