Re: YAMTDB - Mr. Project

Gene Z. Ragan wrote:
The magic rules file was fixed to properly detect the file,
> as stated in the comment. This is usually the easiest way
> to fix such issues.

I can't really accept that this is an acceptable resolution for this problem. If it is, then then NEXT bug that I need to file is about how the XML rule in the magic file stomps all over the more complete extension based mime type configuration on the system.

THAT is the root cause of this problem.

One thing to consider in this debate about file type detection
> schemes is that no system is fool proof. File sniffers can
> always be confused by false positives. File extensions can
always be placed on improper files. No matter what system is
> used, it requires diligence from all involved parties.

This all may be true.

However - I believe there are some errors in the way things work right now. I am not quite sure what the appropriate solution would be. I think I read some good ideas when I read through this thread history in the list archives. Perhaps one of those ideas could lead to a better solution if discussed more thoroughly.

And I don't propose that the file sniffing solution be discarded completely. I suggest, rather, that the current system needs to be tweaked.

One idea that comes to my mind, perhaps, is the need for some new standards.

  1. There MUST be a magic file rule for every extension, when possible.

2. That Gnome as a whole move away from "Gnome-only" solutions to the world-friendly solutions suggested by the Free Desktop people. (Sounds like there are parts of Gnome that are already using this.)

3. There MUST be a magic file rule for every XML based file format, when possible.

Please keep in that these are JUST ideas...

--
Paul Joseph Thompson
captbunzo squirrelmail org