Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 14:43, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> Funny that you said that - cause I had already implemented that over the
> weekend in my Nautilus Plus version. I didn't add it to edit menu though
> cuz I thought it functions better in the selection context menu on a
> folder.

The main reason to put it on the main menu would be discoverability, both of the function itself and of its keyboard shortcut. Also, personally I'd be far more likely to search starting from a folder I had open (e.g. my homedir) rather than one I didn't, because then I'd immediately be able to see which subdirs it was about to search.  But maybe that's just me...

(I see that the HIG also says "do not provide functions that are only accessible from popup menus unless you are confident that your target users will know how to use popup menus"-- which a lot of Mac and Window converts still won't.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group