Re: Templates directory looks pretty bare

On Sat, 2004-31-07 at 19:18 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Ryan McDougall">
>
> > I managed to find the original thread with a little bit of googling, but I
> > wish when people refer you to a thread, they might give you a hint on how
> > to find it (approx date, name, etc).
>
> Sometimes, people don't remember.

Yeah, its a fact of life. :(

> > Since GNOME includes apps for editing certain files, IMO we should ship
> > those templates. We are responsible for a good user experience as much as
> > the distros.
>
> Part of ensuring that good user experience is maintaining restraint. If we
> encourage putting stuff in the Templates folder, everyone will start doing
> it, just like Windows. Horrible, horrible. Let's leave it to users.

I agree mostly, thats why it should be done by a group that can exercise
restraint. We can, and the distros can, but I fear there is no
motivation for the distros to do so. IMO that leaves it up to us.

While I definitely want to empower the user with choice, I don't want to
make them figure out how to open a simple text file via templates all by
themselves. All I'm talking about is adding an empty Text file, and
empty TAR/GZ, and maybe someone else can think of _one_ or _two_ things.
I'm just trying to bootstrap the discovery process. IMO that is
restraint and usability.

> - Jeff

Cheers,
Ryan