Re: is nautilus as good as midnight commander?

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:08:53AM +0200, Kotrla Vitezslav wrote:
> my friends and coleagues. But for really heavy duty file job and system
> management I always use text console and mc. I also still do not dare
> to let Nautilus move/manage _large_ directory trees. Just yesterday I

For me it's not so much ease or comfort (though I am far more used to
doing stuff in the console) that gets me back into the console every
time.  It's odd, but I feel perfectly at home in windows doing file
maintenance, but in linux it always feels a bit scary to do stuff in a
GUI file manager.  Maybe it's because in windows typing in c:\"program
files"\"some stupid company"\"some stupid app" sucks (even with tab
completion), vs nice and short /usr/ /lib/ etc.

I think part of it might be that in the console it's very easy to jump
to root if you need to, and sadly, for me anyway, a lot of times I still
need to jump into su to get stuff done.  With a GUI file manager it's
pretty much impossible to copy a file into /usr/local/sbin without
jumping to a console.  Because there's always that possibility (of
needing to su) I don't bother with a GUI FM, as it's more a PITA to do
stuff in a GUI, jump to a console, su, jump back than to just be in
the console to start with.

Maybe if the GUI file managers would prompt for my password (a la os/x)
when I wanted to copy files to a root dir, or wanted to do something on
the root dir, I'd be more comfortable using it.  That said, I am
*trying* to use it more and get more comfortable with Nautilus.

One HUGE enhancement that I think would make a big difference to users
would be allowing bookmarks in spatial mode.  Spatial mode is nifty and
all, but having to switch from mousing to the ^l location bar and typing
sucks (IMHO).  I'd like to be able to jump to someplace without having
to switch modes from mousing to typing if I want to go somewhere.  I've
been doing a lot of work lately in
/home/alan/code/company/project/mod_perl, and going there by pure mouse
is a bit much, double middle clicking all the time.  I'd like to just
add that location to the places menu and jump there quickly.

My $0.02 anyway, I'm pretty sure I've seen RFEs for this somewhere
though :)

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain